- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Our Impact
- News & Events
- How to Help
- Contact Us
To date, we have hosted parties for more than 16,000 children.
Young patients undergoing chemotherapy and bone marrow transplants have weakened immune systems which disallow them from being around other kids. As a result, they miss out on enriching childhood experiences like going to the movies, amusement parks, birthday parties, and trick-or-treating.
Throughout the year, Hope for Henry hosts events like Hope for Henry Super Hero celebrations, It's Your Birthday from Hope for Henry!, Hope for Henry Reads book parties, summer carnivals, Hope for Henry SuperGirl SuperFun Pamper Parties and Hope for Henry Halloween Parties to ensure that these kids get to experience the joys of childhood, even while in the hospital.
Here’s how we bring smiles and laughter, hope and magic, into the lives of children at Children's National Medical Center and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
Hope for Henry Reads
Hope for Henry’s first-ever hospital party took place in July 2005, with Hope for Henry "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" parties at hospitals from Washington, DC to Hackensack and Minneapolis on the day the book was released to the public. Featuring fresh-off-the-presses copies of the new books for each kid, trivia contests, chocolate covered frogs and Bertie Botts jelly beans, these parties were covered nationally by CNN, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal as well as on local television news and in local newspapers. In July 2007, when “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” the final book in the Harry Potter series was published, we were back at the hospitals celebrating its arrival by hosting another series of fabulous parties.
Now we’ve made this program a part of what we do throughout the year. We host parties featuring the best children's authors year-round.
If you want to join Hope for Henry in bringing the pleasure of a great book to a child in the hospital, you can:
- Collect and donate brand-new books for children of all ages.
- Introduce us to authors you know who might be interested in sharing their books with kids in the hospital.
- Sponsor a Hope for Henry Reads Book Party for $1500 or make a donation of any size to help us purchase books for kids.
Hope for Henry Superhero Celebrations
Kids love superheroes. Mythic figures like Superman and Batman represent unimaginable power and the promise that good will win out over evil. For kids with life-threatening illnesses these are particularly potent ideas. For them, superheroes represent the prospect of a world away from their hospital rooms — a world where they can win the battle over their illnesses, and create a life that better fits their dreams.
Each year Hope for Henry hosts Superhero Celebrations at our partner hospitals. These events feature everything superhero, including: Visits from live superheroes like Batman, Wonder Woman and Spiderman; Onsite photo booths so kids can take pictures with their favorite superheroes or villains; Caricaturists who draw pictures of the kids as superheroes; Superhero costumes, masks, capes and related accessories; Superhero action figures and play sets; Superhero t-shirts, comic books, stickers, temporary tattoos and other fun gifts.
There are so many ways – big and small, all equally significant - that you can help bring the magic of superheroes to sick children. You can:
- Collect and donate brand new superhero action figures, costumes, or comic books.
- Sponsor a superhero party for $5,000 or make a donation of any size to help support this super fun event. (link to donate here)
Hope for Henry SuperGirl SuperFun Pamper Parties
Medications often bring side effects that make kids feel crummy and change the way they look. It can be particularly difficult for girls whose reflections in the mirror show bald heads, lost eyebrows and red, swollen cheeks. That’s why we created the Hope for Henry SuperGirl SuperFun Pamper Party. At each event, the girls are treated to make-overs by top-notch makeup artists. They get their nails done. They accessorize. They have portrait sessions by professional photographers. They feel and look as beautiful as they are.
If you want to support Hope for Henry’s SuperGirl SuperFun Pamper Parties, you can:
- Introduce us to companies that will provide in-kind donations of high-end makeup and nail polish or fashion accessories;
- Volunteer as a professional makeup artist;
- Become a sponsor of this beautiful event and come volunteer on-site to see the impact of your investment.
Hope for Henry Halloween Parties
The opportunity to dress up and to get as much free candy as you can carry makes Halloween one of the best days of the year. Hope for Henry Halloween Parties give hospitalized kids a chance to celebrate one of their favorite holidays by giving them brand new costumes so they can trick or treat and participate in parades throughout the hospitals. From the hematology/oncology clinics to radiology and surgical waiting rooms, hundreds of princesses, witches and superheroes fill hospital corridors with cheer while collecting candy and toys. For those too ill to leave their hospital rooms, Hope for Henry delivers gift bags and Halloween cheer.
To bring Halloween cheer to hospitalized kids, you can:
- Donate bags of individually wrapped candy to Hope for Henry to share at in-hospital Halloween celebrations.
- Donate brand-new, popular Halloween costumes and accessories for kids of all ages.
- Donate new festive decorations for hospital clinics and patient rooms.
- Sponsor a Hope for Henry Halloween Party for $5,000 or make a contribution of any size to help defray the cost of this scary fun event.